Firenation Glass Studio: A Paranormal Hotspot

On a recent Saturday evening, the Fringe Paranormal team investigated a local business on which has a reputation for unexplained activity. This building, one of the oldest and most interesting spots in the area has proven to be one of the teams most perplexing cases. Join the team as we document some amazing activity at one of Holland, Ohio’s most active locations.

Investigation Date: October 17, 2009

Investigation duration: 9:00 pm-2:00 am


Agents Present

Don C

Kelly S

David T

Jake K

Scott S

Ray (guest)

Investigation Conditions

Avg. Temp.                     42°

Dew point                       28°

Avg. humidity                 60

Precipitation                   0.0

Barometric pressure     30.20in

Wind                               7mph North

Solar X-rays                  normal

Geomagnetic field         quiet

Moon                              new moon, 0% of full

History of the Building and Area by John Hartsock

The following information represents what is presently (2009) known about the history of Front and Clark Streets. As new accounts are discovered they will need to be added to update or change what is written below.

We know that in 1887 there were 5 businesses and a post office in Holland. Thomas Sage had opened an implement store selling farm equipment and hardware. It was possibly located on the northeast corner of what is now Front and Clark streets or somewhere in that vicinity (it has been proposed that it was where the Antique Store use to be and where the present novelty store is located). A blacksmith shop was operated by Charles Naitzka and was probably located in the Hall addition south of the railroad tracks. The “Temperance Inn” was located on the corner of what is now Railroad and Holloway where the Lee Irons family lives. The Milan Perkins Grocery was possibly located at the corner of Second and Erie Streets where that family had operated a grist mill in 1885. This business was discontinued because of a boiler explosion that caused the death of their child, Floyd Perkins. The post office was probably located in the John Walker house on Railroad Street since he was the village constable and postmaster during this period.

At this time Harrison Wood, a Civil War veteran and the son of Springfield pioneer, Thomas Wood, operated a grocery on the corner of Front and Clark Streets. This may have been the same location where Robert Clark opened a merchandise business with his two sons, Nathan and Cyrenius, in 1862, but it is not known for sure when that building was erected. Robert Clark owned much of the property in this area of Holland where he built houses in what has since been named the Clark addition. So it is not unreasonable that he would have wanted his son’s business to be located near the railroad depot and other areas of business.

The Harrison Wood grocery was operated by him until he died in 1899. In 1900, his son, Arthur Harrison Wood, began operating a grocery, meat market and school book sales in the same building previously used by his father. Sometime before 1928, A.H. Wood sold the property to Perry Hall who had also been the town marshal during this same time.

The building was not used by Mr. Hall and 1928 Albert E. Lormer opened a hardware store and office for his coal company in the building. Around 1932, O.J Simpson (Orlin), opened a barber shop directly to the west of Mr. Lormer’s hardware store. In 1940, the pine tree that had stood for years by the building was cut down and a sandwich shop was built next to the Simpson barber shop that was called The Lone Pine, by Mr. and Mrs. Mahlon Tibbets. A year later that business was taken over by Mrs. Harunah McDarr and her daughter, Mary Jane. This business was sold in 1951 to Charles Dorcas and had ceased operation by 1960.

The Lormer Hardware was later owned and operated by Edward Holman and Carroll Leonard. Edward Holman had been an employee of the Lormer Hardware since its beginning and kept using the name after purchasing the business. When he sold the business in the 1980s he had worked there for more than 40 years.

Elmer and Carol Fink purchased the hardware store in the 1980s and changed the name to Springfield Hardware. Their new sign on the store showing a train running on its tracks became a focal point in the village. After operating the business for a few years it was sold to Dave Miller, who ran it until the early 2000s when it was sold to Firenation, a glass art store.


In the past, employees of the studio have reported a hinge resting atop a file cabinet shooting across the room of the office and almost hitting a person. The current owner reports that while working in the building one recent morning that he heard someone whistling. Thinking it may be his protégé  he asked the man if indeed he had been whistling. The man stated that it was not he who had been whistling. This left both men perplexed as they were the only two people in the studio. Past personal investigations by current Fringe agents produced several interesting EVPs which have led those investigators to believe that some type of activity may be occurring at the location.


The team arrived at the studio at 9:00 pm. We started with an inspection of the site (both interior and exterior) to note any irregularities or environmental factors which could influence the investigation. We also noted that the Firenation mascot, a cat, was not present in the building. After the walk through the team performed an equipment check and went over the game plan for the evening. David, Jake and Ray formed Alpha team and Don, Kelly, and Scott formed Omega team. Alpha team took the front gallery while Omega team concentrated on the cooling room and shipping/receiving area. Both teams maintained a rotating schedule for conducting EVP sessions. While one team conducted their session the other would maintain silence. The purpose for this procedure was to prevent audio contamination.

At around 11:00 pm Omega team received communication from Alpha team in the gallery that they were experiencing some activity. Upon arrival on the scene the Don, Kelly, and Scott witnessed the activity that Alpha team had picked up on. Connected to the ceiling is a type of metal “grate” from which is hung several glass orbs suspended by string. Each orb is suspended by its own string. The string loops through an “eye” atop the glass orb and is tied to its other end. This looped string with attached orb is then hung on an “S” hook which is  attached to the ceiling grid. The orbs are hung on varying lengths of string. One orb was swinging and rotating on its own while the others were motionless. There was no air movement within the room at the time and this area was away from any vents. An adjacent orb which hung from the same height was immobile during our observation. As the studio is directly across from railroad tracks with trains passing by quite often, we thought this might be a factor. Later, as trains passed by, we noticed that this had no effect on any of the hanging objects anywhere in the studio. We also examined the string by which the objects were hung. The string of the “subject” orb was not twisted, which could have caused movement had that been the case. Twisting was also unlikely due to the loop created by the method of suspension.  The motion of the glass orb lasted for about twelve minutes.

Later in the evening at around 12:30, after both teams had switched areas, Omega team noticed a KII meter surge and a ten degree temperature spike while they were in the gallery. At 2:00 am the Fringe team ended its investigation.



On previous personal investigations, members of the current Fringe Paranormal team have picked up interesting audio phenomena at this same location. This occasion did not turn up any type of audio anomaly. During our time in the studio we did witness and capture on film some unexplained movement of an inanimate object. Looking at the environmental data we see that on this night there was a new moon. Whether or not moon phases play a part in regard to  alleged paranormal activity is not proven. This is a point to note given the activity of the night. By keeping accurate logs of such data perhaps we will notice a trend linking environment and unexplained activity at this location. Perhaps we will notice NO correlation.



Previous investigations have produced concrete audio anomalies. This investigation has produced our first ever documented visual anomaly. Taking into account possible evidence from Fringe Paranormal’s investigations and from its members’ personal investigations, Firenation Glass Studio appears to have some type of activity occurring that cannot be explained by natural means at this time.

Special thanks to John Hartsock and the Holland-Springfield Historical society for their assistance in our research.

Investigation organized by Director Don C

Report prepared for Fringe Paranormal by Don C

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: